GAP Claim FAQs


1. What is GAP?

GAP (Guaranteed Asset Protection) - In the event a vehicle is totaled in an accident or is stolen and not recovered, GAP is designed to help pay the difference between the insurance settlement or ACV-(Actual Cash Value) and the loan balance as of the date of loss. It may not cover the entire outstanding balance and may be subject to any limitations or exclusions listed on the GAP contract. GAP does not cover any late fees or unearned interest.

2. How do I start a GAP claim?

The most efficient way to start a GAP claim is to go to the Classic Claims Portal by clicking here. Begin by searching for the contract using either: the contract number and last name OR the last name and last 6 digits of the VIN number. The Claims portal will allow you to start a claim by completing a short claim form with a few questions, upload your documents 24 hours a day and sign up for claims notifications on the contract detail screen. This will generate an email and/or text message advising you of activity on the claim.
You may also go to our website at and click on claims procedures from the customer drop down menu. The first paragraph on this page contains the "claims procedures" document which can be downloaded and printed or saved. The information in "claims procedures" will walk you through the whole claims process.

3. What if I can’t find my contract in the system?

You can use the contract number and last name OR last 6 of the VIN and last name to look up your contract. There may be times that the contract has yet to be received by our office. Also, occasionally the customer name is spelled incorrectly or some letters or numbers of the VIN have been transposed. If you cannot find your contract please call our Claims Department at 800-930-4633, Option 1, to verify we have the correct information and we will assist you with the Claims Portal.

4. How long do I have to file a claim?

You have 90 days from the insurance settlement check date to get all your documents to us, the administrator, in order to process your claim. A benefit request may be denied if this documentation is not provided to us, as the administrator, within that stated time period. You should upload your documents to the Classic Claims Portal or send them in as you receive them. You can initiate a claim the day of a total loss and start submitting documents immediately. If you have any problems getting a certain document please contact us for assistance.

5. What happens after I start a claim and who sends in all the documentation required?

When you open a claim you will be emailed a Claims packet with instructions on what documents are required by us, the administrator, to settle your claim. The documents come from three sources: your dealership, your lender and your insurance company. Due to privacy laws we cannot obtain these documents for you. You are the only person allowed to request or receive these documents so it is the customers responsibility to collect them and make sure they have been received.

6. How long does the process take and how will I be notified once it is complete?

It depends on how long it takes us, as the administrator, to receive all required documents as well as the length of time it takes you to receive your insurance settlement check. We do need all the documentation listed in "claims procedures" in order to process the claim and it must be received within 90 days of the insurance settlement date as described above. Customers who use the Classic Claims Portal will receive an e-mail and/or text notification once the claim status is changed to complete. A settlement breakdown will be sent to your lender and to your email or residence on file once the claims process is complete.

7. How will I know if something else is needed and what if I have questions?

If you use our Classic Claims Portal (here) then you can sign up for claims notifications so that emails and/or texts will be generated advising of any activity on the claim such as documents received, when the claim is pending review and when it has been paid.
If you are unable to use the Classic Claims Portal then you will receive letters every 30 days informing you of what documents are still missing. You can refer back to this FAQ to help answer questions or you may contact our claims call center at 800-930-4633 to speak with any of our claims processors who can give you an update.

8. Why does it take several days for my documents emailed, faxed or uploaded to show up on your system?

Each time the claims department receives documents, they must review each one to ensure they are legible and complete copies. With so many documents coming in each day via various means, this process can be time consuming If you are signed up for the Classic Claims Portal you will receive a notification email/text once any updates are completed.

9. Should I keep making my loan or lease payments?

Yes. You should contact your lender once a loss has occurred but you should continue making any scheduled payments in order to keep your credit in good standing. Your outstanding balance is based on the date of loss and GAP does not cover any late fees or interest accrued after the date of loss. Any settlement sent to a lender will be applied to your outstanding balance and any overage at that point should be reimbursed to you by the lender.

10. Am I going to be reimbursed for my deductible?

The deductible (up to $1,000) is covered as part of the settlement that is paid to the lender to go towards your outstanding balance. It is not excluded but it is also not an item ‘reimbursed’ to the customer. For example, if your insurance company deducted $250 from the settlement you received for your deductible amount, GAP will pick this up as part of the settlement amount.

11. If I am trying to get a new loan can you send something to my dealer/lender about my Gap coverage?

We can send a Claim-in-Progress letter that you have a claim on file. Due to privacy laws we cannot give out any specifics regarding whether or not a benefit is due or how much may be due until the claims process is complete and if a settlement amount has been approved.

12. If I don’t have Primary Insurance, how will you determine the value of my vehicle?

If you did not have insurance at the time of loss you will be required to supply an appraisal report from a licensed appraiser to determine whether the vehicle is deemed a total loss along with the police report to show that an incident took place.

13. If I pay off my loan now can the GAP settlement be sent directly to me?

If a GAP settlement is due and you have paid off your loan to your lender then please provide us with a Paid-In-Full letter from your lender which will authorize us to send payment to you. We will then send it to the address we have on file.

14. Taxes were deducted on my settlement worksheet but not included in my insurance settlement check.

GAP contracts do not cover any amounts for which the customer should be reimbursed by someone else. Oftentimes tax amounts on the totaled vehicle are sent after-the-fact by an insurance company. We take account of it in the settlement amount and you should check with your insurance company on when they will reimburse you.

15. Why is the Police Report necessary?

Gap is a total loss product so the police report verifies that a total loss has occurred and is a document we are required to collect in order to adjudicate the claim. If your insurance company doesn’t have a copy of your police report than you will have to contact the police department directly. In few cases there is not a police report and then a statement of loss form must be completed and notarized. The statement of loss form can be found (here).

16. Why is a valuation report and an insurance settlement worksheet required?

The valuation report shows how the insurance company identified the value of your vehicle and shows the vehicular information along with options and comparable vehicles that were used by the insurance company to come up with the settlement amount. The settlement worksheet will show the breakdown of how the insurance company arrived at the settlement amount and is necessary to confirm the amount found on the insurance settlement check.